Monday Motivation | Cardio Hacks!
Hello, my name is Robyn and I hate cardio.
I was on the track team in middle school, and loved sprinting.
I ran the 400m once and thought to myself "I hate this, I hate this, I hate this..." the whole way around the track. I got third, which I was very proud of, but I digress.
Cardio is short for Cardiovascular. We use the term to communicate that we are exercising that bodily system. It's a workout for your heart.
So yeah, cardio is like, really important.
A post shared by Robyn Warren, M.S.Ed. (@geekgirlstrong) on
Here are some ways I've tricked myself into doing 5, 10, or even 20 minutes of cardio:
- 5 Minutes Forward, 5 Minutes Back
- Whenever I'm on the elliptical machine for more than 5 minutes I switch directions to trick my brain as well as target different areas of my body.
- Changing levels or directions
- Standing straight up and putting one foot in front of the other can get really boring, if you feel it's safe to, bend your knees some or if on a treadmill maybe do some steps sideways! Just keep in mind that certain step patterns may need to be slower than others.
- Listen to music/podcasts
- This is a pretty popular one. I feel proud of myself for making it through a Foo Fighters song. ("Come Back" anyone?!)
- Try different machines
- It can feel intimidating not knowing how to use a machine, just take your time. You might be 5 minutes in by the time you realize you're doing "the cardio"
Love cardio? Teach us your ways.
Hate cardio? Try these out and let us know how it goes here in the comments and at Geek Girl Strong Instagram!